Sunday, July 17, 2011

Work.

I'm in a little bit better mood now. Two things: for every bad day, there's a good day to counter it and when something bad happens, no one has a right to ask, "why did this happen to me?" unless they ask that for every good thing that comes their way.

But today I washed 100 life jackets by hand and each life jacket is about a 3 minute process. On a 90 degree day in 70% humidity. It was long.

So yeah, I have this new job at a whitewater rafting place. At first glance it sounds like one of those jobs that, at the end of the summer, I'll be waving in all my friends' faces. 'Oh you worked at McDonalds? I worked at a whitewater rafting place. NBD". Uh...well...it's a good job. In light of the fact that this is on the internet, available to anyone who wants to see it, let's just say it has it's challenges.

I'm learning a lot. I'm learning how to keep a good attitude in spite of ALL external influences. I walked into work this morning and got an immediate warning from my boss that "today was going to be a bad day". In my opinion, that's not really a successful way to boost your employees' morale. I'm a happy person, and it takes a lot to put me in a really bad attitude, but one way to do that is to destroy my optimism right off the bat. But since I'm not in a position to change my boss's mind about how he handles things, the only thing I can do is learn to adapt to it. I'm honestly not that used to being around someone so pessimistic...

Anyways. Challenges are a necessary part of life. "Challenge" is a fun word, it sounds so ambitious! But when they roll around, they're rarely greeted with enthusiasm. So here I go, mustering up as much enthusiasm as I can to face this challenge every day for the rest of my summer. Wish me luck :)

2 comments:

  1. The best quote I've yet to hear about pessimists: Always borrow from a pessimist, he never expects anything back-Unknown

    I'm convinced life would/is be boring without challenges, but then again what is a real challenge when the God of the Universe is on your team? Corinthians 4:6-18

    ReplyDelete