Monday, May 2, 2011

Oh, the life of a bus-goer...

Learning how to properly take the bus should be a class in itself.

You have to know when to get to the bus stop. If you get there too early, you have nothing to do, so you have to pull out your phone and pretend to be popular or pull out your iPod and pretend to be hip. If you get there too late, you are faced with the decision of whether to risk running down the street screaming like a lunatic in hopes the bus driver will stop, or waiting another half an hour. In which case, see above.

You also have to get there early enough to position yourself somewhere near the beginning of the line, because everyone knows if you're in the back, you'll probably have to stand for the entire 15 minutes. When grumpy old men drive buses, you know they don't care if you have nothing to hold on to before they take that corner at 50 mph. If you're not standing, you will probably have to sit next to a stranger, which isn't bad unless that person has spider legs and giant knees or chooses to spend the entire bus ride yelling to his/her friend three seats down.

You also have to find a good spot on the bus! What looks like a promising seat three rows back is actually taken up by the bus wheel. Congratulations, you get to ride the rest of the way with your knees touching your chin. And you thought that seat was just miraculously open.

Oh yeah, and don't sit too far back if you have to get off early either, because the rest of the people that have to get off to let you out will burn your face into their memories and mentally condemn you into one of Dante's inner circles of hell.

Oh the bus. Just make sure you have someone to stand in line with you as you wait in the frigid cold.


It helps if said person is particularly witty.

2 comments:

  1. yeah...public transportation can be a royal pain in the rear. Subways are worse though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Howdy,

    I don't even remember what the actual point I was trying to make with that post, since I took way too long to finish the thought, so not commenting about it was probably a good thing. Either-way, I'm glad you had a positive reaction to my note, I really doubt my teacher would have had the same reaction. Anyway, since, you make the official readers of my blog reach over two people (big day) I'm more than glad you decided to follow me. Hopefully, I can continue to put out thoughtful articles.

    I figured I'd give your blog a comment, too, seeing as how comments are like leprechauns; both small and rare. On a serious note, nice article, even if I prefer to use cars over buses.

    ReplyDelete